The locking procedure for the Barrage is as follows:
- Vessels with a draught over 2.0m should contact Barrage Control on VHF Channel 18 well in advance of arriving at the Barrage.
- Outbound locks will run on the hour and at half past the hour. Inbound locks will run at quarter past and quarter to the hour.
- Request an inbound or outbound passage through the locks via VHF Channel 18. Communications through the Barrage Control VHF base station are recorded for operational, training and health and safety reasons.
- Listen on VHF Channel 18 for instructions on how to enter the lock. Observe and comply with the light signals displayed and any instructions given.
- Enter the lock and moor as far forward as possible on the end cleat using appropriate fenders and mooring lines. Use at least two lines, fore and aft, and turn off your engine. You may be required to raft up to another vessel, and for this reason it would be beneficial to rig lines and fenders to both sides of your boat.
- Once inside the Bay, mariners should maintain a listening watch on VHF Channels 16 and 18.
- Vessels leaving the Bay should monitor VHF Channel 16 and VHF 68 South Wales Radio, once they exit the Outer Harbour.