BAY ECO LOUNGE
The Bay Eco Lounge has been developed to highlight the environmental impact of our disposable culture on the oceans, as millions of tonnes of rubbish are deposited into them each year.
Removal and safe disposal of the rubbish in the Bay is a daily battle for our Harbourmaster and Environment teams. As a result of natural debris and rubbish that’s disposed of incorrectly, we collect an average of 430 tonnes from the Bay each year, including tyres, plastic bottles, wooden pallets and beer barrels.
In today’s disposable culture, it’s easier to throw things away than to try and repair them or think of alternative ways that they can be used. Also landfills, where a large amount of the rubbish ends up, pose a huge economic and environmental problem, as the waste takes hundreds to thousands of years to decompose. So we sat down and thought about how everyday items, usually thought of as junk, could be transformed into something new.
Our first task was to sort through all the rubbish that had been removed from the Bay to see which items could be reused. We also looked at other everyday items used by the Harbour Authority, such as banners and decking, which were no longer needed and would more than likely end up in the bin.
We then teamed up with local company, Big G Designs, to bring our upcycling vision to life. Big G is a family run business that specialises in handmade furniture using recycled and reclaimed solid wood.
Their commitment to sustainability, along with their unique creativity, has helped us transform everyday rubbish collected in Cardiff Bay into striking, bespoke pieces of garden furniture.
Check out Big G Designs.
IT’S TIME TO DITCH THE BIG 4 PLASTICS
Why, what’s wrong with plastic?
For more than 50 years, global production and consumption of plastics has continued to rise and affects all aspects of our daily lives.
It’s versatile, lightweight and relatively inexpensive nature makes it the perfect material for items that are used just once, such as coffee cups, straws and plastic bags – and up until now, the obvious choice for serving food and drinks at events.
Did you know that…?
- Plastic we use just once, such as bottles, straws, cups, cutlery and food packaging, can take up to 450 years to breakdown, and even longer in water.
- Due to improper disposal, eight million tonnes of plastic find their way into the world’s oceans every year. That’s the equivalent of one full rubbish lorry’s worth every minute.
- By 2050, it’s predicted that so much plastic will have accumulated in the world’s oceans that it’ll weigh more than all the fish combined.
- Marine life is being hurt and killed every day because of plastic in the ocean.
- What’s more, plastic can be even more problematic in our unique Bay environment, as Flat Holm Island and the Cardiff Bay Wetlands are important nature reserves – and birds can consume plastic instead of food.
GET SOCIAL AND HELP TURN THE TIDE ON RUBBISH
Help us share this important message and be in with a chance of WINNING a piece of this unique garden furniture!
All you have to do is take a photograph of you and your friends and family posing as a piece of human furniture.
Instagram: Post your picture on Instagram and tag @cardiff_council, using #BayUpcycle for your chance to win.
Facebook: Why not share it on Facebook too and tag Cardiff Council / Cyngor Caerdydd?
Twitter: Upload your photo and tag @cardiffcouncil @Cyngorcaerdydd and #BayUpcycle.